We Fix Your Gadgets

FixGadgets is a computer service and support company located in Central New York. We offer support for computer problems and service for computer upgrades. We can be reached any time of the day at 631.680.7844 or fixgadgets@gmail.com

Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Cell phone is a perfectly good egg cooker?

Egg Cooker 1 of 2If you find yourself out and without any other method of cooking your eggs, you can use your cell phone according to two Russian journalists. In their experiment, they placed a raw egg in a porcelain cup between two phones that were talking to one another. The article reports that no change was observed during the first 15 minutes, but at 25 minutes the shell became hot and at 40 minutes the shell became hard; the egg was fully cooked after 65 minutes.

This article is part of a string of reports that as of late points out that cell phone radiation is harmful and may cause brain tumors. My experience is that after using a cell phone for a long time (60+ minutes continuously) my ear and head get hot. That aside, it isn't clear whether the heat is due to harmful radiation or just heat emitted by electronics. I don't think there is anything to worry about heat because if this was the case then everyone would have brain tumors from taking hot showers or soaking in hot-tubs.

Egg Cooker 2 of 2The other thing that should be noted here is that their experiment isn't very scientific. Their remarks about the egg are purely qualitative and they don't propose any mechanism by which the egg cooks. The lack of any experimental design means that their findings are nothing more than a cool trick. If these reporters hope to be taken seriously they need to properly interact with the scientific community by publishing their findings in a peer-reviewed journal so their work can be scrutinized and repeated.

My biggest problem with the media is how they skew facts and draw bold conclusions akin to sensationalism and yellow journalism from the early 20th century. Journalists are always looking for the big story and in the process twist findings and observations to fit their pre-formulated conclusions. This is in part why I started this blog to highlight fact from fiction. Until this is study in a more controlled environment I wouldn't consider this more than just some journalists looking for acknowledgement.

Ironically, I don't think people would stop using their cell phones if an accurate study was done and showed that they caused brain tumors; we are too attached to our gadgets.

12 Comments:

  • At 7/06/2006 9:11 PM, Blogger D. said…

    The egg cooked. End of story. True, the validity of the article could be in question, however, that is ultimately what the blogging community is for. Though it has been only a day since the article was published, I'm surprised that someone hasn't repeated this experiment and posted about it already. This isn't sensationalism, but it surely is provocative, imho.

     
  • At 7/07/2006 1:17 AM, Blogger Evan Spiegel said…

    Well if I find out that anyone has repeated the experiment I will definitely update you guys.

    It just bothers me that people read this article and will their friend, "Oh I read an article about how cell phones cause brain tumors".

     
  • At 10/13/2009 4:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    when I first saw them. lol. Please come visit my site Massachusetts business directory when you got time.

     
  • At 10/13/2009 4:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    when I first saw them. lol. Please come visit my site Local Business Directory Of Michigan when you got time.

     
  • At 11/24/2009 4:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Very nice information. Thanks for this. Please come visit my site Milwaukee Yellow Page Business Directory when you got time.

     
  • At 11/24/2009 4:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Very nice information. Thanks for this. Please come visit my site Local Business Directory Of Milwaukee U.S.A. when you got time.

     
  • At 12/04/2009 5:39 AM, Anonymous cosmetic dentists edinburgh said…

    Its great! but took too much time. In that time, chicken might comeout.

    dentists edinburgh

     
  • At 12/18/2009 5:27 AM, Blogger rr8004 said…

    I found your site on google, great site, keep it up. Will return in the future. Submitted this post to Google News Reader. Please come visit my site City Guide San Francisco when you got time.

     
  • At 12/18/2009 5:27 AM, Blogger rr8004 said…

    I found your site on google, great site, keep it up. Will return in the future. Submitted this post to Google News Reader. Please come visit my site San Francisco Business Phone Listing when you got time.

     
  • At 12/24/2009 12:59 AM, Blogger rr8004 said…

    sorry to ask this here but… I really love your theme, would it happen to be a free one i can download somewhere, or is it a custom theme you had made? Soon i will be launching my own blog, however i’m not great with designs but i do like the style of your site so it would be excellent if i could find (or buy) something with a similar look as my last designer cannot finish my site. Thanks! Please come visit my site California CA Phone Directory when you got time.

     
  • At 12/24/2009 12:59 AM, Blogger rr8004 said…

    sorry to ask this here but… I really love your theme, would it happen to be a free one i can download somewhere, or is it a custom theme you had made? Soon i will be launching my own blog, however i’m not great with designs but i do like the style of your site so it would be excellent if i could find (or buy) something with a similar look as my last designer cannot finish my site. Thanks! Please come visit my site San Francisco Phone Book when you got time.

     
  • At 12/30/2009 5:34 AM, Blogger rr8004 said…

    Nice blog design. This seems like it would be a very interesting blog to keep up with. Please come visit my site Fremont Web Link when you got time.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home